Thursday, December 19, 2013

Why I Do This

Its been a tumultuous year for me at Countryside. Our switch to rotating through music every 4 days instead of twice a week has me way behind on teaching standards and curriculum. I am struggling to provide the same quality of music education just because my quantity has been reduced and I simply can't offer the same depth.
This is my first year of teaching 3/4 and 5 Continuous Progress and I am loving it. It's fun to build relationships with these students but I've been feeling sad that they are not getting a "real" Mrs. Prowell experience because of the reduction and I'm having to take extra long on certain concepts (just because they forget so much over the course of a week) while completely skipping over others. It has been a very frustrating experience. 

Then I get this letter today: 

"Dear Mrs. Prowell,
 I hope you have had a great holiday season I really enjoy the music room because you always have something fun planned for us to sing. You don't just have one day for us to show our musical talent but you make that every day. You have grown my passion for music and you show that you can do anything you want with music. I really enjoy your positive attitude you always have and you make the room just perfect for all of our education.
Sincerely, [I'm leaving this 5th grade student's name off the blog]"
Wow.

 

1 comment:

  1. Shandra,
    Thanks for sharing your "#EduWin!" I'm excited to see that you are reflecting on your practice here on your blog! You could even cross post your 20% project for a different audience! ;-) Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete