Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Informances are underway

We've spent the whole month prepping for informances. It's been at times stressful and at times a walk in the park. I've had a bit of anxiety about this year's informances being in March. Due to the rotating schedule, I've seen the kids almost half as much as I normally do at this time AND they are performing in March rather than May. Rather than getting eight days of practice this month (two practices a week), they've only had five. Will they be ready? Did I plan too much? They've completely forgotten some of the things we worked on a month ago. I've had some anxiety but it's also been freeing for me knowing that this rotation is only a pilot and so is doing informances earlier in the year. If they work out, great! If not, I won't try early informances again. I will say I was hoping that not competing with MCA's for their brain attention would mean that we wouldn't get the focus disintegration we usually have the closer we get to informances but I think that will just be a perennial part of informances no matter when they are. I am trying to cram so much into their memories or remind them of all the things they know and its a lot for them. Stress is an inherent part of performing. Plus, we are getting closer to spring break and struggling with the polar vortex, indoor recess, thawing spring-like weather, and returns of snow. Of course they are going a little stir crazy.

But, all that work, time, energy, patience, practice etc. has come to the culminating moment. Today we had our first three performances and they went FABULOUSLY! In fact, with each one, we had extra time left over! Unheard of! I think its because we didn't try to put on a mini-play and because our transitions were so smooth. I'm looking forward to the rest of the informances this week. Three down, twelve to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment