Friday, January 24, 2014

What a crazy January

We have now missed three days due to cold and rumor has it we might miss one or two more next week on Monday and Tuesday. While it is exciting to have extra days at home with my kids, it is wreaking havoc on my planning. 

Seeing each grade level once a day means that it takes 4 days to see each class in the grade level. Each day I usually teach one 4th grade class then one 3rd, one 5th, (lunch) one CP group, and one 1st grade. The next day I do it again with a new group. And the next and the next until the cycle starts again. So at the beginning of each cycle, I teach  all new lessons the first day the repeat them on days 2-4. The whole idea of the rotating schedule is that you don't miss seeing a class on a particular week because of a holiday, you just pick up in the rotation where you left off. It's all nicely planned out int he calendar, too. Each week I had to label which day is which so I don't forget. However, with the cold days, everything is sporadic. You can't just pick up where you left off because then all the future planning (when to do field trips or have in-class performances) gets all off schedule. So that means, just like the old schedule, you never make up the time with those classes. And, because I only see them once a week, its harder to make up lost time by squeezing two lessons in together because I'm already trying to squeeze 72 hours of curriculum into 43 hours. Ack!

I have a very socially full weekend coming up but I will have to chisel out some time this weekend to try to figure out who I have seen and who got what lesson and who didn't. I might just have to scrap some of the projects we've been working on in order to keep everyone together but I am loathe to do that. At the same time, I am loathe to have all 16 of my classes in different places. That sounds terribly complicated. I know the Art teacher has always done it that way but the concrete sequential part of my brain rebels at the thought of it! "Chaos! Anarchy!" it screams in protest.

We'll see what part of my brain wins.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment